Korean War and Korea Defense Service Veterans Association, Inc. 
Department of Florida (DoF)

Ambassador for Peace Medal

If you served in Korean War, you are eligible to receive the Korean Ambassador for Peace Medal.

Ambasssador for Peace Medal Korean War Veterans Association KWVA Department of Florida DoF This commemorative medal is an expression of appreciation from the Korean government to service men and women who served in the Korean War. The Ambassador for Peace Medal began to be presented to veterans as a special memento for those who returned to South Korea through the "Revisit Program," and has since been expanded to veterans who cannot travel long journey to Korea.

Ambassador for Peace Medals are issued by the Korean Consulate in your area. For Florida, that is  South Korea Consulate Atlanta (US), 229 Peachtree St NE Suite 500, Atlanta, GA 30303 (404) 522-1611. 

  1. To be eligible, the veteran must have served during the Korean War from June 25, 1950 to July 27, 1953. It is also available for the veterans who have participated in UN peacekeeping operations until the end of 1955.
    The commemorative medals may be awarded posthumously. However, please understand that the highest priority for presenting the medal is given to veterans who are currently surviving. The next of kin, such as the spouse or descendants may apply for the medal on behalf of a deceased veteran. (Note conflicting information on posthumous medals below!)
How to request the Ambassador for Peace Medal:

On September 14, 2015, I received the following communication from Ms. Patricia West of the Atlanta Consulate.

"Good morning,

The Ambassador of Peace medals are still available from the Atlanta Consulate for those Korean War veterans who are within our jurisdiction (Alabama, Florida, Georgia, North Carolina, Puerto Rico, South Carolina, and Tennessee).

As chapter president, you may request the medals from the Consulate on their behalf. To do so, please simply email me the name of each individual. I only require the DD214 for those individuals who are not active members of a Korean War Veterans Association chapter. As long as the men/women are all current members of your chapter, I trust that you will submit only qualified members who served during the Korean War for the medal. Of course, please do keep in mind that the medal cannot be awarded posthumously.

Once I have received the request, I will mail them to you as soon as possible. In order to be as fair as possible to all veterans, I mail the medals to chapters and individuals in the order in which I receive the request. Please rest assured that this does not mean I will not have enough medals for your chapter. I can say with certainty that your chapter members will receive the medal, but cannot say with certainty how long it will take as there are other veterans awaiting the medal also.

Thank you for contacting me about your request. Please let me know if you have any other questions and I will be more than happy to help.

Patricia West"

Research, Veteran and Education Affairs

Consulate General of the Republic of Korea


What I did.

So, I simply sent Patricia an email at the gmail address immediately above with the names of twelve members in our chapter who still did not have the medal and who qualify under the above criteria. I included the following fields: LNAME, FNAME, City, ST, SVC Dates, and the Unit they served in Korea for each member (although Patricia did not ask for that). 

That was in September; over two months later we are still waiting.

I have received conflicting information on awarding medals posthumously. Patricia says they do not award. Web sites say they do. Try calling Patricia in case you have such a case.

Good luck!

Tom J Thiel, CID169.